Alf Scott farewells Moree

THE Moree Boars centenary ball on July 21 will celebrate 100 years of rugby league in Moree – but it will also serve as a farewell of sorts to a Moree resident that has been a loyal servant to the town, and the game of rugby league, for more than 70 years.

Moree will be left much the poorer when local rugby league pioneer Alf Scott leaves the district to be closer to family.

Alf, now 94, was born and bred in Moree and, apart from a four-year stint in the Australian Army between 1942 and 1946, has been a resident of the town his entire life.

And he has served Moree well.

Over the decades Alf has been involved with the Moree P&C Association and Moree Cancer Support Group.

He is also life members of Moree Greyhound Racing Club, Moree Amateur Swimming Club and Moree East Primary School P&C.

He was given the Mayoral Community Service Award a few years ago as well but is best known as Moree’s walking, talking encyclopaedia on all things to do with local and regional rugby league.

Alf Scott with former workmates and close friends (from left) Tommy Smith, Michael Irwin, Mona Assef, Andrew Nash, Daniel Assef, Janice Ford, Keryn Assef, William Assef and Marie Beatty (Image Copyright Bill Poulos).

He has kept meticulous records and statistics of the game in Moree and was instrumental in keeping rugby league at the forefront of local sport for more than 70 years.

But the time has come, he says, to be closer to family and has plans in place to share ‘visitation rights’ between his son Richard in Perth and daughter Susan Stafa in Sydney.

“Richard and Susan asked me to think about being closer to them so I plan to stay with Susan for six months and then with Richard for six months and see who gets sick of me first,” Alf chuckled.

“Richard is now retired and Susan will retire in the next 6-8 months after serving more than 50 years in the health service.

“I’m living by myself now. I lost my wife Beryl to cancer 30 years ago and I feel it is now time to be closer to my family.

“I have wonderful neighbours that look after me, Margaret Herbert and her daughter Leisa McKnight,” he said.

“They are incredibly great people, and come and check on me every day. My niece, Lauren Houlahan, is fantastic as well. She is like a daughter to me.

“But I feel it is time to leave Moree . . . I’ve got to an age where I don’t want to be where there is no immediate family about.”

Alf Scott, with his beloved HR Holden Premier sedan. He bought the car brand-new in 1967 (Image: Copyright Bill Poulos).

Alf’s love of rugby league was instilled in him at a young age.

He played well as a young man and was considered good enough to try out for St George Dragons in post-war years.

He is still a Dragons’ tragic to this day.

“I came out of the army in 1946 and joined the East Moree Football Club as well as the Swimming Club,” Alf recalled.

“At the same time I had been going to Sydney and trialling with St George. I made about four trips down there and got graded – they used to only grade about 55 players each season.

“A few days later I got a call to go to the repatriation department. When I told them that I had been graded and was going to leave Moree and go to Sydney, they told me that football was out. They said there was to be no contact sport,” he said.

With a career on the paddock a pipedream, Alf focused his energy and drive elsewhere – in the committee rooms, boardrooms and engine rooms of local and regional rugby league – and in 1947 joined the committee of the East Moree Football Club.

“There used to be a local football competition in Moree with occasional challenges for the Spicer Cup against Narrabri,” Alf said.

“I became a delegate for the East Moree club for what used to be called the central committee of all the football clubs across the region.

“In 1950 they went into Group 12, and that took in a lot of towns in the area. That was the first time Moree started playing inter-town football,” he said.

It took Moree only 12 months to be recognised as a force at regional level, winning the Group 12 premiership in 1951.

“Moree also had representative players in the northern division team that played the French – we had some great players in those days like Alf Hardman and Tich Henderson,” Alf said.

As a delegate for Moree, Alf travelled to Group and judiciary meetings, taking in several Groups across just as many decades.

“Moree has been in different Groups six times. We stared in Group 12 then went to Group 5. After that we went to Group 4, then 19, back to 4 and then back to Group 19,” he said.

Alf also represented players at judiciary meetings and at different times was team manager when the club travelled.

“Up until the last couple of years, I had never missed a home or away game unless I was sick or away,” he said

Moree Boars treasurer, Kerry McDonald, who will carry on Alf’s incredible stats-keeping work, said the game in Moree will not be the same without Alf Scott perched on the sideline.

“We will miss him, and I personally wish him all the best,” Mrs McDonald said. 

“Unfortunately, Moree will lose a great community-minded person, too. Thanks to Alf the Moree Boars have stats on players going all the way back to 1955. He took on the record-keeping in 1956 and he could always be found on the officials’ table on game days, keeping scores.

“Alf was still officiating only up until recently. He became secretary-treasurer of the club in 1961 and was made a life member in 1973, and remains a patron,” she said.

Alf also received a Country Rugby League Merit Award in 1998 and was made a Group 4 life member a few years later.

“Frank Fish from Narrabri presented that to me and I believe that Frank and Ross Hamilton from Inverell are the two best administrators I have seen running football in country NSW,” Alf said.

“Ross was the secretary-treasurer of Group 5 and Group 4 and just recently was recognised for his efforts with sport – football mainly – and all the years that he has put into it.”

Away from the football, Alf started his working life at Morgan and Co before taking up a position with iconic menswear and ladies wear store, Assef’s of Moree in July, 1948.

And he was still there 58 years later when retirement beckoned in 2005.

His former employer and great friend, Mona Assef, 88, said Alf will be missed.

Mrs Assef has known Alf since 1950.

“That’s when I came to Australia, and Alf was working in the shop,” she said.

“Alf was a very good worker, and very faithful to the business – he was with us for 57 years.

“He is also a very good friend and still calls in every Monday for morning tea. We really enjoy that, and gossip about the old days.

“There is always plenty to talk about – Alf is a very good storyteller,” she laughed.

“Alf has been a great person for Moree and has been involved in just about everything.

“It is a shame that he is leaving but he has family, and I can understand his decision to go.

“He wants to be close to them,” Mrs Assef said.

Tommy Smith, who turns 83 this month, worked alongside Alf at Assef’s for 21 years from 1982 until 2003.

“We had some unbelievable times,” Tommy said.

“Alf was a terrific bloke to work with and whenever I needed to know something, Alf was always there for advice.

“I’m nearly 83 so I suppose you could call me Alf’s junior when we worked together,” he chuckled.

“It is unbelievable what Alf has done for Moree, especially rugby league.

 “It will be sad to see him leave town . . . really sad,” Tommy said.

Words and Images: Bill Poulos


Uni Shield 45-year reunion to be a highpoint of Moree Boars’ centenary celebrations

THEY are the blokes that put Moree on the national sporting stage back in the early 1970s – and they’re returning home to the black-soil plains to help celebrate 100 years of local rugby league when they join hundreds of other like-minded league tragics at the Moree Memorial Hall on July 21.

Click link for full story:

Hundreds gather to celebrate 100 years of rugby league and pay tribute to two great Moree club men

IT is not often that Alf Scott is lost for words. But that is exactly what happened when the Moree born-and-bred living treasure was given not one, but two standing ovations at the Moree Boars Rugby League Football Club Centenary Ball. It was due recognition of Alf’s years of tireless dedication to the greatest game of all.

Click link for full story:

Retired Moree referees Tommy and Reg remember the ‘good old days’ of local rugby league

THEY were yelled at and heckled, and told countless times to get their eyes tested.

And if Specsavers had been around 35-odd years ago, that catchphrase would’ve been used frequently.

Tommy ‘Killer’ Cain and Reg Jamieson still chuckle when they recollect their refereeing days on rugby league paddocks across the far north-west and beyond – the memories and laughs, they reckon, are just too precious to forget.

Click link for full story:

Eddie Lumsden’s boys did Moree proud 50 years ago – and Eddie still raises a glass to their success

THE Moree under-17s rugby league side – coached by former St George great Eddie Lumsden – utterly dominated the 1968 Group 5 season by generating a series of wins that peaked with a narrow grand-final triumph against Inverell.

They became known across north-western NSW in the late 1960s as ‘Eddie Lumsden’s Boys’ and created a unique slice of Moree’s rich rugby league history when half a century ago they marched through the under-17s competition undefeated.

Click link for full story:

FINALLY REVEALED: How Bernie Briggs kicked that goal to seal the 1973 Uni Shield for Moree

SADLY, Bernie Briggs and Terry Kelly – the latter also known as ‘Super’ Kelly – are no longer with us, but their legend lives on.

Now it can finally be revealed how Bernie Briggs kicked that goal from the sideline to seal victory for Moree High School in the 1973 University Shield grand-final – and how Super played a leading hand.

Click link to read full story:

Moree’s U-18s and U-16s league sides shone brightly during a stellar 1973 season

MOREE’s rich rugby league history, stretching back 100 years, is punctuated with myriad stellar seasons and unforgettable highpoints.

The 1970s was an incredible decade for The Big M – a defining 10-year timeframe that produced 16 grand-final wins across four grades.

Stars were born, and the more durable just kept shining, during an historic 10 years of local rugby league.

Click link for full story:

Moree University Shield ties that bind still strong after 45 years

THE mighty Moree Boars celebrated 100 years of local rugby league at the weekend with a huge centenary ball at the Memorial Hall.

The ball featured guest speakers Tony Butterfield and David ‘Cement’ Gillespie as well as a charity auction hosted by David Watts that raised thousands of dollars.

Local league’s night-of-nights, which also honoured club stalwarts Alf Scott and Todd Mitchell followed a 30-all draw against arch-rivals Inverell Hawks at Boughton Oval on Saturday afternoon.

Click link for full story:

Geoff Newling remembers the Boars’ 1988 grand-final win – a golden year for Moree rugby league

WHEN former Northern Daily Leader sports editor Geoff Newling was approached and asked to send through his recollections of Moree Boars’ 1988 grand-final win against Gunnedah, he had several hundred words emailed back to Moree Online NEWS within a few hours – despite pressing freelance commitments and deadlines.

That’s the sort of bloke he is, and when it comes to penning words about rugby league, or any other sport, there is none finer than Geoff Newling.

Click link for full story:

Moree Boars’ centenary celebrations night-of-nights looms large

MOREE Boars Rugby League Football Club is packing down for one of the most important nights of its long and cherished history when former and current players, committee members, officials and supporters come together to celebrate 100 years of rugby league in Moree.

Click link for full story:

Pop-up museum planned to coincide with Moree rugby league’s centenary ball this month

MOREE and District Historical Society will open a ‘pop-up’ museum to coincide with this month’s Moree rugby league centenary celebrations – and society president Stephen Ritchie is calling on anyone that might have old photos, trophies or memorabilia to help build on the already impressive display the society has planned.

Click link for full story:

PART ONE: Rugby league has been played in Moree for 100 years – and Alf Scott has been around for 94 of them

RUGBY league has been played at competition level in Moree for 100 years – and living treasure and local league historian Alf Scott has been around for 94 of them.

And, incredibly, for 71 of those 94 years, Alf has been directly involved at club and group level with the game that he loves.

Alf has been kicking goals for nearly as long as the game of rugby league has been played in Moree and he remembers with absolute clarity every try scored, every goal kicked and every tackle made – and every player involved.

Click link to read part one of the feature on local rugby league legend Alf Scott:

PART TWO: Alf Scott farewells Moree

The Moree Boars centenary ball on July 21 will celebrate 100 years of rugby league in Moree – but it will also serve as a farewell of sorts to a Moree resident that has been a loyal servant to the town, and the game of rugby league, for more than 70 years.

Moree will be left much the poorer when local rugby league pioneer Alf Scott leaves the district to be closer to family.

Alf, now 94, was born and bred in Moree and, apart from a four-year stint in the Australian Army between 1942 and 1946, has been a resident of the town his entire life.

And he has served Moree well.

Click link to read part two of the feature on local rugby league legend Alf Scott: