Search

Blog

Tragic accident north of Moree on Friday responsible for two of eight deaths on NSW roads in 48 hours

Two people tragically killed in a head-on collision about 15 kilometres north of Moree on Friday afternoon – one of them a businesswoman from Goondiwindi – were among eight people killed on NSW roads within a 48-hour timeframe.

The 48-year-old woman was returning home to Goondiwindi when the pantech-style van she was driving collided on the Newell Highway near the Mosquito Creek Road turn-off with a B-double truck driven by a 61-year-old male heading south.

The highway was closed in both directions for several hours after the horrific crash.

A crime scene was established and the circumstances surrounding the crash are under investigation by officers from Barwon Local Area Command.

A coroner’s report is being prepared.

Police are horrified at such a high road toll in such a short period – eight dead within 48 hours – and are appealing to all road users to drive safely.p001

Between Friday and Sunday eight people, including two teenagers, died in crashes – and several others were seriously injured.

The NSW weekend of horror follows a road fatality near Edgeroi the week before and an accident on October 12 near Uralla that claimed the life of two males in their 20s.

So far this year, 320 people have died in road crashes in NSW, 38 more than the same period last year.

Traffic and Highway Patrol acting commander, assistant commissioner Michael Corboy, said the loss of life should not – under any circumstances – be acceptable.

“Unfortunately, this has become the norm, rather than the exception, and it defies all logic,” Mr Corboy said.

“Before you venture out on the road, ask yourself the question: What can I do today to survive. What action can I take to ensure that myself, and people around me, are not at risk of being injured or killed on the road,” he said.

“This effort is a combined one. We have to work together to end the tragic and avoidable deaths on our roads. We’re doing our best and we’re calling on you, the driver, motorbike rider, cyclist and pedestrian, to work with us,” Mr Corboy said.

Meanwhile, a man has been charged after police allegedly found $97,000 cash in a car following a crash in Mendooran in the central west of NSW at the weekend.

About 9.40pm on Saturday officers from Mudgee Local Area Command were called to Mendooran Road following reports of a single-vehicle crash.

Following investigations, officers searched the Ford Falcon and allegedly located $85,000 hidden in the boot of the car. A further $12,000 was located on the driver.

The cash and car were seized and will undergo forensic examinations.

The driver, a 30-year-old man, was arrested at the scene. He was not injured during the crash.

He was taken to Coonabarabran Police Station where he was charged with recklessly deal with proceeds of crime, and three counts of goods in custody.

He was refused bail and appeared at Dubbo Local Court today, October 24, where he was refused bail to appear at Dubbo Local Court on December 14.