Stage one South Moree sports project nearly completed
Moree Plains Shire Council is finalising Stage One of the South Moree Sports Project with the multi-purpose sports and recreation complex expected to be completed in late September, 2016.
In collaboration with the Moree Boomerangs Rugby League Football Club, the complex will make a significant contribution to redevelopment of south west Moree and will allow the Club to host regional carnivals and competitions.
Council’s executive projects manager John Carleton explained that the complex will provide user groups greater sport and recreation opportunities as well as allowing service providers to develop programs and strategies focused on healthy individual and community lifestyles.
“There is a real sense in the local community that this change places Moree on a ‘level playing field’ with other, larger regional clubs seeking to entice the NRL as a training venue and trial matches. This is very significant in terms of contributing to a positive community self-image,” Mr Carleton said.
“The complex is not just developing a quality sport and recreation complex; rather it is creating a place for community development and growth,” he said.
The South Moree Sports Project has included:
- Construction of a purpose built sports field in compliance with National Rugby League competition standards orientated north-south
- LED sport field lights to allow extended use of the complex into the evening. These lights provide competition-standard lighting with the bonus of reduced running costs that will further enhance the use of the facility.
- Sports field irrigation and ancillary works
- Enhanced drainage to ensure the sports field is able to operate more quickly after wet weather periods
- Security fencing
- Car parking
- Building mound for a clubhouse incorporating amenities, canteen, change rooms and a multipurpose area for a range of community uses.
Funding for the project has been provided by Council and the NSW Trade and Investment Regional Infrastructure Services, The Office of Liquor, Gaming & Racing through the ClubGRANTS Program.