Pallamallawa mum and daughter lucky to be alive after fire guts home

A YOUNG single mother and her toddler have been left devastated and homeless after losing all of their belongings in a tragic house fire at Pallamallawa on Saturday morning.

Kayla Vollbrecht, 19, and her daughter Sophia were asleep in their Paramellowa St home when it caught alight.

And Ms Vollbrecht firmly believes that if it wasn’t for the quick actions of complete strangers who were driving past the residence, she and her daughter may not have escaped alive.

“We were woken up by strangers who were driving through town . . . I still don’t know who they are, but I would like to find out so I can thank them,” Ms Vollbrecht said.

“They rushed in and saved us. Had it been another three minutes we wouldn’t have gotten out, I’m sure of that.


Firefighters and local residents could not save a Pallamallawa home that was engulfed in flames on Saturday morning (Image Supplied).

“When we were awoken the house was full of smoke,” she said.

The fire, which is believed could have been triggered by a faulty hot-water system, quickly tore through the residence, destroying furniture and personal belongings.

The fire swept through one-year-old Sophia’s bedroom, destroying toys and clothing.

“We have lost everything except for a few little bits and pieces . . . we need to start from scratch again,” Ms Vollbrecht said.

Despite quick action by the rural fire service and local residents, the weatherboard dwelling could not be saved.

Ms Vollbrecht and her daughter are currently staying with family and friends until they can get the remnants of their lives back together.

They have lost most of their belongings, except for a television cabinet and dining table.

Words: Bill Poulos

Image: Supplied

A Go Fund Me page has been set to help the young family.

People wishing to make a donation can do so by visiting: