New three-month NSW gun amnesty starts July 1
RESIDENTS across the region with unregistered or unwanted firearms are being urged to take advantage of the next NSW Firearm Amnesty, from 1 July to 30 September 2018.
Northern Tablelands MP Adam Marshall said last year’s National Firearm Amnesty was extremely successful, with the NSW Police Force netting almost 25,000 firearms from 7,277 individuals during the three-month campaign.
“Local residents have another chance to do the right thing and either surrender unwanted or prohibited weapons or become a responsible firearm owner and register their gun or rifle,” Mr Marshall said.
Mr Marshall said there were still firearms in the community that people no longer wanted or would like to register.
“Whether the firearm was inherited or found, the three-month amnesty period will allow them to come forward and legally dispose or register it without penalty,” he said.
Last year during the national amnesty, almost 8,000 firearms were handed in to NSW Police for destruction, including 951 handguns and 5,558 shotguns, around 15,000 were handed in for registration and 2,100 handed in for sale.
“This is another opportunity for people to get rid of any firearm or parts without the fear of prosecution,” Mr Marshall said.
Anyone with concerns about handling firearms or safely transporting them, can contact the NSW Police Force Firearms Registry on 1300 362 562 for assistance.
For more information, please visit the website at: www.police.nsw.gov.au
Media Release: May 17, 2018