Nearly 50 offenders charged since New Year’s Day in Barwon Local Area Command
AN 11-year-old boy charged with arson offences in Moree and a man in his 50s charged with supplying the drug Ice during a vehicle stop at Boggabilla are just two of a raft of arrests and charges laid by Barwon Local Area Command in the past few days.
A man in his 20s was also charged with using a laser pointer at traffic on the Moree bypass on New Year’s Eve.
Officers have worked around the clock during the past few days to make a number of significant arrests, with 45 offenders charged with 100 offences.
In Moree today (Friday, January 5) an 18-year-old male remains bail refused after he was found riding a stolen motorcycle at Wales Park overnight.
The motorcycle had been stolen from a Moree motel earlier this week.
Charges include drive conveyance taken without consent of owner; drive never licensed; use uninsured vehicle; drive recklessly and furiously at speed and manner dangerous; and use unregistered registrable Class A motor vehicle on a public road.
Police also responded to break-and-enters in Moree at Brand, Frome, Grace and Tycannah Streets as well as the Newell Highway.
Arrests since New Year’s Day include:
- A 16-yearold male charged with trespassing at a Moree motel during the early hours of New Year’s Eve;
- An 11-year-old boy charged with arson offences after a vacant house was set on fire in James Street in the early hours of New Year’s Eve;
- A 26-year-old male charged with using a laser pointer – the man had been shining the laser at passing vehicles along the Newell Highway Bypass at Moree on New Year’s Eve; and
- A 55-year-old Springvale man was charged supply prohibited drug; possess prohibited drug; and in possession of equipment for administering prohibited drugs after he was located with a quantity of methyl amphetamine during a vehicle stop at Boggabilla early on New Year’s Day.
Officers also responded to:
- Break-and-enters in Boggabilla (Merriwa, McCosker and Yeoman Streets), Moree (Brand, Frome, Grace, Tycannah Streets and the Newell Highway) and Wee Waa (Alma Street);
- Stealings at Moree, Narrabri, and Warialda; and
- Stolen vehicles at Boggabilla (Merriwa Street) and Moree (Brand and Frome Street) and Narrabri (Riverside Drive).
On Thursday, January 4 a further two motorbikes (not stolen) were seized in unrelated incidents by Police.
As a result an 11-year-old boy was dealt with under the Young Offenders Act and a 17-year-old boy will be issued with a Future Court Attendance Notice for ride unlicensed and unregistered.
A 2017 silver Mitsubishi SUV stolen from a Brand Street address on Tuesday evening was recovered in Adelaide Street on Thursday. The vehicle was subject of a number of pursuits throughout Moree on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings.
Enquiries are continuing.
Anyone with information that may assist police in relation to people wanted by the police; unsolved crimes and/or future crime that is being planned; or suspicious and unusual activity are urged to contact Police either by phoning Barwon Local Area Command on 02 6757 0799 or Crime Stoppers 1800 333 000.
Media Release: January 5, 2018