Mungindi pop-up grocery store opens Monday, September 14
MUNGINDI and district residents will next Monday (September 14) again be able to purchase groceries and essential items in their home town, with a pop-up supermarket opening its doors following the destruction of the SPAR Supermarket in a fire last week.
Northern Tablelands MP Adam Marshall visited the disused RSL Club building where the supermarket will based and met with members from the Mungindi Progress Association which has been involved with establishing the business.
“When the pop-up supermarket opens on Monday morning, it won’t be just milk and bread on the shelves with locals able to access the majority of essential items normally found in their grocery store aisles,” Mr Marshall said.
“This week members of MPA, led by Anna Harrison and Peter Prosser, have been frantically installing shelves, fridges and freezers in the RSL building, ahead of the delivery of initial stock from SPAR today.
“Apart from man hours, the set-up of the supermarket has come at no cost to Mungindi locals, with the fit out and first delivery of products covered in the $100,000 provided by the State Government.
“It has been important this supermarket is accessible to all, with MPA and Moree Plains Shire Council working closely with local groups and Aboriginal organisations to ensure all sections of the community can access what they need.
“Shoppers will be able to use cash for purchases, with Eftpos facilities also available.
“Already pushed to the brink by drought and COVID-19 border restrictions, Mungindi is a resilient community which refuses to be kicked down.
“The way the town has rallied behind the owners of the three destroyed businesses and worked to pull this store together in just over a week is a real credit to its unwavering community spirit.”
Mr Marshall said the pop-up supermarket was only an interim measure until a permanent store can be re-established.
“In further positive news, it looks as though the owners of the SPAR Supermarket are considering maintaining a presence in Mungindi,” he said.
“Be it a week or six months, the pop-up supermarket will remain open until such times as a new supermarket is built and operational.
“I have given the commitment NSW Public Works will support the effected business owners with the clean-up.
“The destruction of these businesses goes beyond the loss of bricks and mortar, it’s the potential removal of jobs, sponsorship and potentially even people from the community.
“None of these are outcomes I, nor the community, want to see eventuate and so I will continue to help where I can to support the business operators to get back up and running if that is their wish.”
Media Release: Friday, September 9, 2020