Mungindi fire clean-up to start next week
WORK will next week begin to clean up and remediate the site of three businesses in Mungindi’s main street which were destroyed by fire earlier this month, Member for Northern Tablelands Adam Marshall announced on Thursday.
Mr Marshal said a local contractor had been commissioned to undertake the work, on behalf of the business owners’ insurers.
“The hiring of contractors and the commencement of the clean-up marks a very important milestone in Mungindi’s recovery,” Mr Marshall said.
“Next week specialist contractors are expected to arrive in Mungindi to establish a plant, before commencing a targeted clean-up of the former butcher site.
“The site is currently emitting an unpleasant odor and has been prioritized for clean-up to prevent any health risks to the community.
“Work to demolish and remove the remains of the SPAR Supermarket and PJs Country Wares will start on the Tuesday after the October long-weekend.
“This clean-up has been made difficult by asbestos and waste materials at the site, with a considerable amount of planning needed to ensure the safe removal and disposal of waste.
“All waste will be transferred for processing at the Moree Waste Management Facility.”
Mr Marshall thanked the community for its patience during the clean-up planning process.
“The destruction on St George Street is unsightly and has impacted on the operation of neighboring businesses,” he said.
“I thank the community for its co-operation while Public Works Advisory, Moree Plains Shire Council and the insurers worked through the stages of this complicated clean-up.
“It has been vital this process has been undertaken correctly, so as to prevent any long-term health risks to the people of Mungindi.
“Once the site is cleaned the affected business owners can start to rebuild their operations, if they so wish, a move which would be greatly welcomed by the community.”
Media Release: Thursday, September 24, 2020