Moree Showground fencing to be completed with $100K grant
THE old corrugated iron perimeter fence at the Moree Showground will soon be no more thanks to a $101,200 grant from the NSW Government.
Member for Northern Tablelands Adam Marshall recently met with Moree Show Society President Brendan Munn to deliver the good news and discuss plans to construct the new security fence, completing the work started 18 months ago, which saw approximately half the old iron replaced with new sleek and secure security fencing.
“I’m really pleased that this grant will allow the remainder of the old perimeter fencing to be complete replaced, securing the entire showground,” Mr Marshall said.
“The old fence is not only an eyesore, the corrugated sheets of iron are not secure and presents a risk to the public.
“People try to gain entry to the showgrounds through the loose panels and there is potential for them to injure themselves and do damage to showground buildings and the property of tourists who camp there overnight.
“It was built a long time ago and the new security fence will definitely improve the aesthetics of the general area and improve the ability of the showground to provide complete security for events and campers.”
Mr Marshall said the grant built on the $83,000 previously allocated to remove and replace a little under have the old fencing and the significant volunteer work of the Show Society to improve the condition of buildings at the showground.
“The Show Society have been flat out revamping the old stable blocks, installing new toilets and upgrading the grandstand and other structures,” Mr Marshall said.
“The Moree Showground is much-loved and a really well used community facility and I expect it to become even more popular once all the new fencing in installed in the coming months.”
Funding for the Moree Showground was secured from the 2018 Crown Land Improvement Fund. The new fencing will be the same as that installed last year.
Media Release: August 21, 2018